Saturday, August 18, 2012

Catch-Up...Not Ketchup!

I have no idea why I titled this post that way...I'm goofy...this post has nothing whatsoever to do with ketchup.

I've really been slacking on the blog posts...but I've been busy with life. I'll try to get caught up.

Tuesday night I walked 6 miles with my Crim training group. My legs were sore and tired and it took more effort than usual to finish and the "group" got split in half, which isn't suppose to happen. It was pretty irritating when the whole idea of being in a "group" is to stay together and help others along. We do something called a "circle back", which is when those getting a little too far ahead turn around and WALK to the back of the very last person in the group...making them the new leader of the group. It is not only for safety but to help out those that may be struggling to know that we are there to support them and that we wouldn't leave them behind. A few members of our group seemed to have forgotten that practice on Tuesday. The group actually got split into two and those in the front had to be made told to circle back. The thing is...they didn't "circle back"...they just stopped walking and waited for the rest of us to catch up. I'm not going to say that I've never done that...but the ONLY time I did was when my feet were hurting and I needed to slow down so I waiting to be at the back of the group so I could walk at a slower pace. However, this continued to happen for the entire 6 miles...we'd get so far apart that someone would finally ask those in the front to circle back and they would proceed to take a little break and wait for the rest of the group to catch up. Maybe I'm over reacting but to me, that just doesn't show support for those who need to go at a slower pace or who are struggling through some physical problems. They are trying to complete the same 6 miles as those faster, fitter walkers and to just stop and take a rest just seems rude. What about those people in the back? They don't get to rest...they keep walking to catch up...and when they do they don't stop and rest...everybody just starts walking again. So, if you ask me, those in the back of the group worked way harder on Tuesday's walk then those in the front. That kind of turned into a rant...lol...I wasn't planning on that. Apparently it bothered me more than I thought! Hopefully it'll be much better for our final group training walk next Tuesday, which will only be three miles.

---------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday, David and I took the kids to the Genesee County Fair. We all had a good time and the boys really had fun riding the carnival rides and seeing all of the animals. I made sure to keep us away from the pigs! We don't need some new strain of swine flu hitting our family! I even got to see two white tigers!!! I have ALWAYS wanted to see a white tiger in person. They just seem like just majestic, beautiful animals. The fair was charging $3.00 to see then and David had no interest in seeing them or paying for the whole family to see them so while he was taking the boys on a ride I asked my mother-in-law to watch the baby while I paid the $3.00 to go in. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity! IT WAS SO COOL! There was a momma and her hundred pound 18 month old baby! The momma was laying at one end of a large connected three room cage. I was lucky that a couple that walked in right before me paid to get a picture taken of them feeding the momma tiger so I got to watch the momma stand up and pose for her photo before she got a little treat of a chunk of meat they were holding on a long grasper stick.

More impressive was the 'baby' tiger. He was HUGE! I was shocked when the lady said he was 100 lbs. and only 18 months old! His paws were the size of dinner plates! Anytime I have ever been to the zoo, all of the animals seem to be sleeping or just laying down...not this baby boy! He had what looked like a piece of a burlap sack in his mouth and he was running back and forth between the cages and tossing his head back and forth like you would see a puppy do with a toy. It was so cute...and just plain cool to see such a large powerful animal playing like that! I could feel the ground vibrate with his every foot fall! Beautiful, beautiful animal! I'm so glad I went ahead and paid to see them...really a bargain at $3.00! : )

---------------------------------------------------------------

On Thursday, my son Jacob (the one who had a horrible reaction to an unknown source...likely a bee sting...about two months ago) was stung 19 TIMES by hornets that swarmed him in our front yard!!! David was mowing the yard on our riding mower and my son was kind of following him around because he wanted a ride (he was a safe distance away). David then noticed that Jacob was running right behind the mower crying and when he stopped to see what was wrong he saw that Jacob was COVERED in hornets (he was only wearing a pair of shorts...no shirt or shoes). He immediately brushed them off and then brought him in the house. I had been finishing up making dinner when David brought him in and I went to sit him up on the table to see how many times he was stung. The moment I set him on the table he cried out "OUCH!" and I immediately took him off the table and David said "There's one on the back of his shorts still." I went to brush it away and it came towards me and I swatted at it again. Then I noticed that there were two more still on his shorts so I quickly took his shorts off and three flew out!!! I grabbed Jacob's epi-pen and injected him with it. We didn't know if they were bees or hornets at this time and either way we still don't know what he had the bad allergic reaction to the last time. I then felt a sting on my stomach and lifted up my shirt and one of those F-ers got up my shirt and stung me once on one side of my stomach, which I didn't even feel (adrenaline worrying about Jacob probably) and four freakin' times on the other side! David wanted to let him sit and calm down and just "see what happens"!!! WTH??? NO...you (or I) are taking him to the ER RIGHT NOW...or I'm calling an ambulance!!! I am a horrible mom when it comes to staying calm in a scary situation and I know I was freaking poor Jacob out more, but I couldn't help it...while David under-reacts!!! He did end up taking him in where they gave him some benedryl through an IV. He never reacted like he did last time, but the ER doctor said that could be a result of giving him the epi-pen which he said I was completely right to do. They were home about two to three hours later with a prescription for a steroid to take for three days to ward off any reaction that might happen after the epi-pen and benedryl wore off. I just thank God that he is ok!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Friday evening I did workout number 2 of C25K week 7 training. I REALLY didn't feel like running...but it had been three full days since I had last ran so I knew that I HAD to. I struggled through it and finished strong (in my opinion) but I was slower this time than I was last time...BUT I really can't compare the two workouts from the data on my Garmin because for the first time ever (during the last workout) it didn't record properly. I can't remember if I mentioned it in my post about that first C25K week 7 workout but it said that I did my first 5 minutes, which is suppose to me a brisk warm up walk, at a 12:?? min/mile pace!!! lol Yeah right...I can't even run that fast, let alone walk. However, I did do the running portion a little slower this time, but I wasn't feeling all that great...mentally or physically...my legs were still bothering me since the Great Pizza Challenge 5k. Hopefully I'll do better next time...which should be tomorrow night.

Not too bad.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Today we took the kids to Lapeer Days...a local downtown weekend festival and carnival. They have a Beautiful Baby contest every year that I just MUST enter my kids in. Both of my boys were entered in it every year that they were eligible...and both won a trophy in different years. They never got first place...but every mom knows that their child is the first place cutest child in their book. : ) This year was the first year that both boys were too old to do it and it was Isabel's second year being entered. Every year I am SO sure that my child is going to win first place and every year I am always shocked when they don't. First, I have to say that this year the people who were running the contest had NO IDEA what they were doing!!! They decided to do it differently then they have any other year that I've done it and it did NOT work well. I really don't feel like getting into the boring details of how they goofed up. I just need to say that my precious little Isabel, who was so good and so patient through out the whole thing, did not place at all. : (

Sorry about the quality...it was taken on my crappy phone camera.


Who could NOT think that this is the cutest baby ever??? ; )

---------------------------------------------------------------

Two last things...

1. Did you check out the left hand column??? I lost FIVE pounds this week!!! I am now 223 lbs. and 25 lbs. down total!!!

2. Any fellow bloggers out there...Scott, the Plant Fusion representative that I arranged my product review and giveaway with asked I would find any other bloggers that would be interested in doing a product review and giveaway of Plant Fusion's products on their blogs. So if you are interested e-mail me: eatingawayernie (at) gmail (dot) com.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend. I'm not sure what we're doing tomorrow...I just know I'm sleeping in! : )

1 comment:

  1. Your poor little boy! That would be so scary!

    Your daughter is adorable!

    Awesome loss!

    ReplyDelete