Monday, August 13, 2012

C25K Week 7...Four weeks late

I am now in week 7 (its actually been 11 weeks) of my C25K training...are you getting sick of hearing about it yet? This week takes me back to doing one set workout for the whole week (three workouts). So no more changing it up with every workout...YAY!!!

Last night I started the week 7 workout which is a 5 minute walking warm up followed by running for 25 MINUTES straight!!! I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do it...but I was sure as hell gonna try! What I find weird is that ever since I overcame my fear of running 20 minutes straight back in week 5 I now look forward to the longer stretches of running. I would much rather run for twenty-some minutes straight than to break it up into intervals...intervals are harder!!! Not that running for an extended period of time isn't hard, but you can get into a "zone" when you don't have to stop and restart again.

I was worried that even though it had been three days since my 5k race that my legs still weren't ready to go out and run. Not to mention that our new house has a basement which is where our kids playroom with there bazillion toys is and my boys continue to forget to close the door so that Isabel doesn't crawl over and fall down the stairs. So at one point she was sitting right on the ledge and I had to sprint to get to her. My calves and shins KILLED after that. In hindsight, I probably should have just taken another rest day, but I'm eager to move on (in some respects) and my husband kept saying that I had enough rest days. I try to explain to him that its not the same for me...at 228 lbs. (226 as of this morning...YIPPY!)...as it is for him at 130 lbs!!! Especially since he's been a runner all his life.

As soon as I started walking I could feel that my left hamstring was sore (or tight?) but I thought it would work itself out after I started running. At first my hamstring actually hurt worse when I started running and the muscles around my ankles were pretty sore as well. As I continued the soreness in both areas cut back, but never completely went away. I really hate the first and last couple minutes of running. At the beginning I always feel like its way too hard and that I'm not going to be able to run for long...and by the end my legs are heavy, sore, and tired...but there is that awesome in between time when I get into a zone and my legs are strong and I feel like I could keep running at that pace forever. I was able to get into that zone for awhile and I made three loops around the end of the street (normally I make it two and a half before the running interval is over) and when I can around the cul de sac for the third time I thought I'd check my watch, figuring that I'd have maybe 5 minutes left...at the MOST...it read NINE MINUTES!!! This is where the mental part of running really starts to come into play. I was thinking...'I'm so tired RIGHT NOW...how can I possibly make it for nine more minutes???' but I knew that the last time I did a C25K workout I had run for 22 minutes straight...so I was only adding 3 minutes of running to what I had already been able to accomplish...so I just kept telling myself that even though nine minutes seemed like a lot...I had already been able to run six of those nine minutes the last time I ran. So really, the hardest part was going to be completing those three extra minutes...and what's three extra minutes when you've ran twenty two minutes already? I know I slowed way down...but I finished the whole 25 minutes...without stopping to walk. I was really sore and tired...but I did it! I continue to amaze myself with what I'm able to make my body accomplish!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started taking my Copaxone injections for the MS on Friday. A nurse came out to my house to show me how to use the auto injector. Thank the Lord for giving some brilliant person the idea to invent an auto injector! I don't think I would be able to poke myself. I was so nervous about starting this medication. I was worried about what side effects I would have and how it would make me feel just in general. So far so good. I did have some injection site reactions the first two times (welting, hot to the touch, and a lump) but nothing too bad. Last night I didn't have any reaction. : ) Let's hope it stays that way! There is always the possibility of some scary side effects that apparently happen rarely, but could happen immediately after ANY injection...so it could be three years from now on my 945th injection that I could experience chest pain/tightness, anxiety, and heart palpitations! Yikes! I'll just keep praying that I never have those side effects and that this medication works!

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still doing well on the Phentermine for weight loss. Although I didn't lose anything this last week (a certain "aunt" came to visit). I have been noticing an increase in headaches lately, which is a side effect of the medication. However, with my history of migraines, these minor headaches aren't that bothersome. I just pop some ibuprofen and I'm good to go again.

As of this morning I'm at 226 lbs. that's 9 lbs. lost since starting the Phentermine three weeks and two days ago! Not bad!!! : )

I hope everyone has a good week! I'm planning on taking my kids to the Genesee County Fair and then to Lapeer Days over the weekend where I'll enter Isabel in the Beautiful Baby contest. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment