Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Is it worth it?

I really need to start asking myself this before I eat something "extra" or high in calories.

I went to my Grandfather's house yesterday to help him out with a few things. He has recently been declared "legally blind" and can't read small print, so I go over and help him go through his mail and set up his pills for the week. Anyways, the boys weren't really hungry before I had to take Jacob to preschool and head to my Grandpa's house. I did eat at home, but it wasn't a 'satisfying' lunch (I DESPERATELY need to go grocery shopping). By the time I left my Grandpa's house I was starving so I was sure Nathan was hungry and Jacob would be too when I picked him up. So I stopped at McDonald's. I know, I know HORRIBLE...BUT it wasn't a 'normal' trip to McDonald's, which would've been two chicken nugget kids meals (apples and apple juice...a little better at least), would vary for me...but worst case scenario would've been a Big Mac value meal with coke AND a medium caramel frappe (LOVE those) plus I would've used the kids chicken nugget sauce to dip my fries. This time, I got two four piece chicken nuggets, two apple juices, a grilled chicken snack wrap with no sauce, and a bottled water. I was proud of myself AFTER I pulled away with my stuff...why then you ask...because the whole time I was in line I was thinking "I'm so much hungrier than what I ordered...maybe I'll add something when I get to the window", BUT I DIDN'T!

When I got home I looked up the calorie content of that snack wrap. I was SO sure that it was only 166 calories, not sure how I got that exact number, but I know I use to get them quite often when I lost my 40 lbs. a couple years ago, and that's what I thought I remembered they were...WRONG...it was 260 calories!!! Granted, that is with the sauce on it which I didn't have, but I'm sure the sauce wasn't 100 calories. Still not that bad but more than I was expecting.

I'm not sure what my deal was, but I was 'starving' before every meal yesterday and I ended up have two helpings of dinner, which was chicken (left over from dinner the night before) and gravy over egg noodles. I really do need to go grocery shopping, I'm having to get creative with whatever we have left in the house. I should have made a vegetable to have along side that I could have filled up on, but I didn't even think about it. Jacob had a dentist appointment at 5:50pm, so as soon as my husband got home we left for that. We all went along so that I could take Nathan back to watch Jacob get his teeth cleaned, but I wanted David there so that when (it was inevitable) Nathan got restless and didn't want to sit still and watch anymore he could take him back out to the car. So by the time we got home I had to get dinner together quickly and didn't think about making a vegetable side.

I don't think either of these 'slip ups' will result in any major changes on the scale this week, but I'm actually glad that I'm making them a big deal. It means I'm really thinking about what I'm eating and how it effects me. I just need to start asking myself if whatever the food is, is worth it. Is it going to make me feel guilty and am I going to obsess over it afterwards? I don't want to do that to myself, because that just triggers more bad eating.

Three more full days until my next weigh in, I'm hoping to lose two more pounds this week to make it a total of 10 pounds lost in three weeks! Wish me luck. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment