Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A 'Titanic' Weekend

It feels like its been a lot more than four days since I posted last...but I'm glad it hasn't been. Here comes your weekend recap!

Saturday morning was spent getting ready for my friend's wedding reception and submitting my final weigh in for my Mommies Facebook group challenge. I had NO IDEA what I was going to wear to the reception. It was an backyard reception (they were married the night before in a backyard wedding) and was also the first pretty cool day since springtime. The few dress clothes I had recently worn were now too big : ) so I had to figure something else out. Remember my post about sorting all of my clothes into sizes and storing them with the next size down on top? Well, I decided to go downstairs and take a look and see if I might possibly fit into anything. I ended up bring up a few things...including two pairs of size 18 dress pants (grey and black) that I didn't try on but figured even if they didn't fit quite yet that I would be able to fit into them soon. So there I am Saturday morning staring at three pairs of dress pants (the two size 18 pairs and a black pair size 20?) and four sweaters (two were size 2X and two were XXL...what is the difference? They both have two X's!). I decided to try on the black size 18 pants first and I was praying the whole time I was pulling them up..."God, please let them fit, please let them fit!" and THEY FIT!!! *They even started falling down as the day went on...I kept having to hike them back up! The XXL shirts were bright colored...one pink and one baby/aqua-ish blue...and I didn't really want to stand out like that so I figured I would see if the 2X light grey sweater would fit. I was actually hoping that it would be too big but it fit perfectly. I have worn those 2X sweaters quite a bit and therefore washed them quite a bit and all I can figure is that it shrunk some over several drying sessions...or I was wearing them WAY too tight before...which is possible because I know there was NO WAY I was buying 3X ANYTHING!

Found this picture of me wearing the green 2X sweater...the grey sweater is the exact same sweater. Looks like it was pretty tight...you can see the white tank top through the stretched knitting.
So anyways, I was pretty happy with how I looked and I was fairly confident that I would be warm enough and it actually stayed at an acceptable temperature most of the time we were there. I would have gone even if I had to wear a parka though! ; ) I hadn't seen him in a couple of YEARS and was really looking forward to seeing him and being able to be a part of celebrating his wedding! We had a really good time. I just wish I would have gotten to talk to him and his new bride more, but that's how it goes at all weddings...or any party for that matter. If you are the host or guest of honor it seems like you never get to spend as much time with each guest as you would like. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get together and visit before its been another couple years.

Oh, right before we were about to leave to go to the wedding reception I got a text message from the lady heading up our weight loss challenge telling me that she was about to post the results! I hurried over to the computer (even though we were already 15 minutes late in leaving our house) and logged in to Facebook. I was so sure I was going to see that I had won...but I did not. : ( I lost by 3.5 measly points!!! The mommy who won is a freaking workout MACHINE...and that's what put her over me! : ) Its all in good fun, motivation, and support (it stings a little). Plus, we're starting another 6 week challenge this Friday and I plan to kick ASS and take NAMES! lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sunday at noon we dropped the kids off at David's parents house and headed to The Henry Ford Museum. I was SO EXCITED to see the Titanic exhibit...more excited then I even expected to be! I'm not sure why I have such a fascination with it but I couldn't wait to see actual artifacts from the ship and its passengers! It took us longer to get to Dearborn than I was expecting and so we had lunch later than expected too. I had two $10 gift cards for Olive Garden so we went to one a few miles from the museum and got the all you can eat soup, salad, and bread sticks. YUMMY! I don't really think I pigged out...except maybe on the salad...I had one bread stick and a bowl of the chicken and gnocchi soup (cream based). I did order a second bowl of soup, the minestrone, but I didn't really care for it and was really full by that time so I only had about three bites of that.

We arrived at the museum a little after 3:00pm (our tickets for the Titanic exhibit were for the 4:45pm slot) and I felt like we had to rush through seeing everything and I'm pretty sure we missed quite a bit...but I'd like to take the kids there sometime because I know my boys would just be in awe of the big planes, huge steam engine train, and all of the cars.

This was the first thing we saw walking into the museum. I was a little freaked out when we had to walk under it later.

The open train car reminded me of Water For Elephants so I had David take my picture in front of it. While I think the book was WAY better than the movie...I wouldn't have minded if Robert Pattinson happened to be hiding in the train car. ; )
Too cool! : )

They didn't allow us to take pictures in the Titanic Exhibit unfortunately but the whole experience was awesome...except for how many people were milling through it all at once. It took a really long time to get through the exhibit...which I didn't mind (David did...and it was annoying trying to see or read something and feeling like you were being cattle prodded on). I wanted to see and read EVERYTHING! Before entering the exhibit everyone was given a "Boarding Pass" for Titanic with the name of one of the real passengers. At the end of the exhibit there was a list of the "Saved" and "Lost" and you could see which 'you' were. If you go to Katie's blog Runs for Cookies...she has a post about the exhibit as well and even has a picture of her Boarding Pass. My passenger's name was Mrs. Annie Elizabeth Sage, wife to Mr. John G. Sage, and mother of NINE...Stella (20), George (19), Douglas (18), Frederick (16), William (11), Ada (9), Constance (7), and Thomas (4). They were third class passengers. At the end I found out that my passenger and her ENTIRE family were all lost when Titanic sank! I did think that it was a neat idea to have the boarding passes and I'm positive that whoever came up with the idea had the best intentions at heart...to share a little bit about the lives of those who were on Titanic as well as to make it more real to us spectators. However, most of what I saw were people reacting like it was a game. Now, I did turn to my husband and say 'You died!' as if I were telling him that he missed seeing something interesting on TV...but there were people that were racing each other to find their passenger's name and would then laugh and say "Haha, you died!"!!! Those were REAL people...all of those names on that wall were living, breathing beings who had husbands and wives...and children!!! I left feeling so deflated and saddened in knowing that among the more than 1,500 lives lost, an entire family of eleven people perished. I really wish I hadn't gotten the name of a mother. All I could think about on the drive home was how that mother had to figure out a way to comfort her children...especially the young ones! I cannot even FATHOM knowing that you cannot save or shield your child from such a horrible end. If, like me, you want to know a little more about the Sage family's lives you can check out this little article I found online.

Here is a picture to lighten the mood. The Wienermobile! I took a picture of this vehicle with David next to it...I will NOT share what 'pose' he is striking...you can just use your imagination. ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was suppose to run Sunday night but didn't since we got home after dark. Instead I ran last night (Monday night). It was C25K Week 5's day three workout which called for running two miles straight...no walking breaks. Remember when I was so paranoid about doing this workout before...it was 20 minutes straight? This time I KNEW I could do it...I was just worried about how long it was going to take me. I knew that it was going to take me more than 20 minutes because I wasn't running over 2 miles until I was at 30 minutes straight. I did a little better than I expected and when I compared it to my other 2 mile runs I could definitely see my continued progress.


If you can't read this I apologize...it shows an improvement each time...that's all you really need to know anyways. : )
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've decided that I am going to try and sign up for at least one race a month so that I'm always training for something...keep me motivated to run even when I don't want to which is all the time. My next race is the Great Pumpkin 5k on October 13th and I hope to get a new PR. I was looking up a race to do for November and I came across something called World Run Day. Has anyone else heard of this? I've decided that I am going to participate. It seems like a lot of fun and I'm hoping to get a group of people together to run a 5k course. Essentially its a virtual race, so you can run anywhere you want. You can also pick any distance you want and they are encouraging participants to donate to their favorite local charities. You can register through the active.com site and for a fee they will send you a t-shirt in the mail for participating and add your name to their event site. I'm really looking forward to it...and I hope to see some fellow blog runners post about participating as well. : )

I hope you all have a great Wednesday! I've got to get my house in a visitor condition for the Hunger Games themed party I'm hosting on Friday. "May the odds be ever in your favor!"

1 comment:

  1. It's a great feeling wearing something you think won't fit. Congrats on your success. I have also signed up for a 5k to try and stay motivated.

    ReplyDelete