Thursday, May 24, 2012

Couch 2 5K Week 1 Day 1

Did I really just do that??? Did I just run a total of EIGHT WHOLE FREAKING MINUTES!!!??? YES

Do I still stink to high heaven as I sit here and write this post??? YES lol



 What I feel like mentally after my first C25K workout


What I feel like physically
(Cannot believe I posted a picture of myself looking like this...lol)

Ok, I'm just going to start at the beginning and go from there. I WAS super excited to start this...every time I would go out to walk I would think to myself "I would love to just start running right now" (I know, absurd thought). Well, that excitement turned to nervousness as soon as I stepped out the door. I was thinking 'Why the hell am I doing this...I don't want to RUN!!!'...but then my Garmin started to beep, counting down the last 5 seconds before I had my first 60 seconds of running. 'OH SHIT!!!' *Now I would like to add that I seriously thought about waiting until it was dark to attempt this workout because I did not want to be seen by ANYONE! I do however live out in the country on a road with no outlet so I thought that there couldn't possibly be that many people out in their yards at the precise moment I was going to have to RUN by, all my fat bouncing as I went. But wouldn't you know it there was a woman (better a woman than a man) mowing her lawn right around the spot where I was going to be running my first 60 seconds...and she wasn't way back up by her house mowing...she was mowing the very front edge of her yard, even having to turn around in the road, so she was going to get a nice up close and personal look at me as I attempted my first 60 second run! YIPPY!!! I chose not to look at her as I huffed by and before I knew it my watch was beeping again signifying the end of my first run! It was by no means easy, but the time went by faster than I thought, and that happened again for the next few intervals, but then I messed myself up. I was thinking that I only had six 60 second runs until my watch beeped again and I realized that I actually had TWO MORE RUNS to do!!! Let me tell you, people aren't kidding when they say that running is mostly mental...because I wasn't mentally prepared for those last two runs they were HORRIBLE...but I did them! Then I did a 5 minute cool down walk. The Couch 2 5K program states 20-30 minute workouts, but since I'm incorporating this into my Crim Fitness Training Program I will be doing (after this week) 45 minute workouts. I won't be running more (God no), I'll just have a longer warm up and/or cool down.
So there you have it folks, my first C 2 5K workout run down. I have no idea how I'm going to do it again tomorrow (Friday). I just have an easy walk on the schedule for today so I probably won't bore you with a run down of that...unless something spectacular happens.

A couple notes...

I started writing this post last night after I got back from my workout, but I finished it this morning...so I did not go to bed 'stinking to high heaven'. Just thought I should point that out.

Also, I did NOT tell my husband that I started the Couch 2 5K program. I want that to be a surprise...so if any of my family and/or friends are reading this blog please don't mention it in front of him or post anything about it on my facebook wall. Thanks. : )


Have a wonderful Thursday...I'll be trying to continue to potty train my late bloomer 3 year old son today...wish me luck!

11 comments:

  1. Great job getting started...that's always the hardest part! I was only able to get through week 5, but I will be starting it again, because it really is a great program! Just keep at it, and before you know it, you'll be running those 8 minutes all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard many people say how they hit a wall on a certain week. I'm thinking that I might just plan of doing every week twice. We'll see though. I'm very nervous to do it again tomorrow...I'm worried that its going to be much harder instead of easier.

      Delete
    2. It will be harder. I won't lie to you. But once your done, the 60 second runs that you were doing will feel much easier. Increasing is hard, and it takes a LOT to get yourself to finish it. But I remember when I started, I thought 60 seconds was going to kill me. And then I did the next day, and the next day. I was finally running 8 minutes at a time, and I couldn't even believe that I was having a hard time with 60 seconds, because 60 seconds felt like nothing during the 8 minute run! It won't get easier, but you will definitely feel the progress!

      Delete
  2. Soo proud of you Erin!! Like I said in one of my other posts...you will be running that 10K when Crim is over! Great job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...well, since I'm signed up for the walk I couldn't run it even if I wanted to. Just to clarify, the Crim is a 10 mile walk/run, not a 10k, a 10k would be much easier since it would only be 6.2 miles. I believe they do have a 10k race going on at the same time, as well as an 8k and a 5k, but I'm signed up to walk the BIG race. : )

      Delete
  3. Good job with Day 1! Doesn't it feel like such an accomplishment?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What day are you on? I know you're on week 1 still right?

      Delete
    2. ...and yes, it feels like a great accomplishment. I think it'll feel even more awesome after I finish day 2 because its not starting something that I have a problem with...its continuing on after that first time. :)

      Delete
  4. Funny photos!! I looked at a C25K schedule once and it looked too complicated for me. But it gave me the idea of how to structure my own running program. So I wrote it out with intervals of walking then jogging etc until I was all jogging and no walking. Looked good on paper. Only 1 problem ... the starting part lol. Loved the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your first run! That's quite an accomplishment. Keep it up. I can personallty attest to how addicting it gets once you start:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope it becomes addicting...lol. I can't believe how sore I am though and not where I thought I'd be sore. My entire mid-section is sore...ribs, abs, hips, back...its definitely not going to be fun today.

      Delete