Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Decisions...decisions...

I had my third group training session today. We walked 4 miles. We gained about 8 new members who were transferred over from different groups. Its become apparent to me that I could move up to a faster paced group but I love the people in my group and since I've started doing the C25K training I'm not too worried about pushing myself super hard on group training day so I'm going to stay with my group. A few of us went out to Mongolian Barbecue afterwards for dinner. We had a good time and I'm looking forward to our group session next week. Its a step back week for us so we'll be walking 3.5 miles.

I'm still undecided on what I'm going to do for my Couch 2 5k training. I was talking with my good friend Kari today about it and my fear that I would not be able to complete 8 - 90 second runs. She gave me the idea that I could alter the program a little and have like a half step week this week where I would do 4 intervals of running 90 seconds and walking 60 seconds but then for the second 4 intervals drop back to the 60 second run and 90 second walk. I could always just repeat week one all over again...but I don't want to feel like I'm not pushing myself ahead...so I guess I'll be a surprise what I decide.

What do you guys think? Should I move on without alterations, repeat week one, or do a half step week? Just curious what you're thoughts are.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Tuesday! : )

7 comments:

  1. I think that you may surprise yourself, and you'll be able to do the 90 second runs. You could just try it the first day, and if you can't do it, then do the altered program for a week. The best feeling in the world is doing something that you thought you couldn't, and if you go into it thinking that you're gonna try it, then you're more likely to do it. I bet you'll be able to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suggestion is to make the program work for you rather than you work the program. You don't want to overdo it, but at the same time you don't want to hold yourself back from advancing...I sound like a politican giving the nice neutral answer lol. I just think you attempting the C25K is an awesome thing no matter how you go about following through till the end. So long as you're working toward running 5k then I say work it in with yourself. No one knows you better than you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should at least TRY to do the 90 second run. Try it for the first interval, if it's too hard do week 1 again.

    The program stresses that if you aren't ready it's okay to redo a week, so don't feel bad if you can't do it. I think, however, that you'll surprise yourself with what you are actually capable of!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your body is capable of WAY more than you ate giving it credit for! You can do the 90 seconds! It's going to be hard (trust me, I've been there) but with each run you are getting better for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found your blog today on Runs for Cookies Blog List.

    I agree that your body can do more than you think it can. However, I'm a big proponent of repeating a week in C25K if you aren't feeling strong that the end of the week you just finished. That said, I also haven't finished the program yet (preexisting injury).

    Good luck! And know that which ever way you choose you are still moving and that is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about trying the 90 second run. If that doesn't work for you then do week 1 again. I think you will surprise yourself (like you did last week).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the exact same fear when I first started running. Every week that I went up a minute, I was so anxious that I wouldn't be able to do it. Before I knew it, I was running 10:1 intervals (10 minutes running:1 minute walking), then before you know it you don't need the rest. It's amazing how fast your body adapts. I've already completed 3 5k races and my first day of running was March 9 of this year...so just 11 weeks ago. Try the 90 seconds, you'd be suprised what your body can do. Running is all about mentally talking ourselves into it. You can definitely do it! Just keep pumping those arms and your feet will have to follow:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete