Thursday, June 21, 2012

Playing Catch Up

I realize that to people in some states, 90 degrees is either normal or 'cooler' than normal during the summer months, but in Michigan its FREAKIN' HOT and add that to the high humidity we have...UGH!!! I had my Crim group training on Tuesday. We were scheduled to walk 5.5 miles, which is what I had mentally prepared myself for, but when I got there, I was informed that because of the high heat index that we would be cutting the mileage in half (THANK YOU JESUS!). So we walked 2.67 miles...BUUUUUT...we walked the part of the Crim race course that has the infamous "Bradley hills"...they are not "hills" by Tennessee standards, but when you are running or walking (and I believe these "hills" are towards the end of the 10 mile race)...especially in the heat we were walking in...they SUCK!!! What's bad is that you go up about three separate times right in a row. It was NOT fun and I think since we were cutting the mileage in half because of the heat, we should have done the half WITHOUT the hills for good measure. ; ) All I know is that I was surprised by just how much the heat effects a workout! I figured that I'd finish the 2.67 miles no problem...maybe a little sweatier...but not super tired. Boy was I wrong! I got my first blisters on my feet and I could tell even though they had gone pretty numb, more numb than they have been recently due to my MS. I was wondering how the heat would effect my MS symptoms since I have been reading about how extreme temperatures can intensity symptoms...mine were, in fact, intensified. By the time we finished I felt like I had walked 10 miles!!!

I'm now debating whether or not to extend the Couch 2 5k week 3 for another whole week. I'm thinking that I may just do my third workout and then movie on to the week 4 workouts. *SHOCKING* I'm actually EAGER to move on!!! WOOHOO!



I was over at Marcia's blog, Minus One Hundred and she was talking about joining this weight loss challenge where you literally "lose a marathon"...in weight. No, not by running one...heck no people...I am NOT running in a marathon...hmmmm...YET! ; ) So I thought, eh, why not? Maybe it'll help with my motivation to get my eating habits in check...because its becoming painfully obvious to me that the exercise alone is NOT taking the weight off. So I headed over the Run With Jess and signed up for the Lose A Marathon Weight Loss Challenge. If you're interested you still have until JUNE 25TH to enter! It runs for 13 weeks...so about 2 pounds to lose a week...I can do that!!! (Ernie says with doubt...ugh)



I said in my previous post that I would explain a little better what happened with my son Jacob over the weekend in my next post. Well, we are pretty sure we was stung...but where and by what we have no idea. He went over to the neighbors house to play on her play scape. David ended up carrying him back after about 10 minutes or so and he was crying. David thought that he had hit his head while climbing in the play scape. Jacob started dragging his hands down his face and was itching his thighs. He kept saying how his face got a spider web on it and then his whole head started to hurt. *We do not believe it was a spider bite, and neither does his doctor.* He was crying pretty hard and would not stop dragging his hands down his face. I got worried when he got this weird look in his eyes and I started to notice some puffiness around his eyes. His heart was racing as well and I just told David that he needed to go to the ER. David said he would take him and they were gone within about five minutes, and by then he was starting to get little bumps all over his face.

 My husband sent me these pictures from his phone so they aren't the greatest (we have crappy phones).

What Jacob looked like after the short drive to the hospital. You can see the swelling and the bumps if you look close.

This was taken just after he got into a room in the ER. They took him right back so this was maybe 20 minutes after leaving our house.

They gave him benadryl (sp) and prednesone (sp) through an IV. : ( It took the nurse three tries to get the IV in.
 The ER doctor said it was a pretty bad reaction. When he came home he looked a lot better, with hardly any red bumps...but within a couple hours they were coming back to I had to give him the dose of benadryl and prednesone that the ER sent him home with. He's now on the last day of medication and I took him in to see his pediatrician today and they prescribed him an epi-pen and are scheduling him an appointment to see an allergist to figure out what it is that he's allergic to since we aren't exactly sure what happened. We never found a sting site.

*sigh* So there you have it...I think I'm all caught up now. : ) I should have a new post tomorrow on my C25K training.

Hope everyone has a good Thursday! : )

9 comments:

  1. Hope Jacob is feeling better soon. Poor little fella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow so scary, glad to here Jacob is doing better, allergies can be down right dangerous! Hope they can find out what it was. On a lighter note so happy that your keeping up with C25K you are rocking it :) The lose a marathon looks pretty cool I think I might hop on board and do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! I'm glad he's feeling better, hopefully the allergist can figure out what happened!

    Also, what part of Michigan are you from? I live in Michigan too, I live in West Michigan, right on the lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the east side of the state...Lapeer County.

      Delete
  4. HI! I am joining the marathon, as well! I stumbled upon your blog today! I am also working to shed over 100 pounds. Thank you for your inspiring posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Central Illinois and it has been FREAKING HOT here lately! Mid to upper 90's and I hate it! It's miserable. My friend and I have been trying to get out and walk before 8am, but it doesn't really matter because it is already super humid by then.
    My daughter had allergy testing done last month and she is allergic to EVERYTHING. I felt so sorry for her afterwards because I was just kind of brushing her off thinking that it wasn't that bad. Mom of the year award right here! Glad your son is ok and feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor buddy! I hope things get better for him :( Wanted you to know I signed up for the Marathon Challenge!! I need to lose way more than 26.2, but I'm going on a trip on September 20th and this is a GREAT motivator and the timing works perfectly!! Good luck to all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word! That is soooo scary! I'm so glad you went straight to the ER and he got looked at right away! Hopefully you'll be able to find out what he's allergic to so you know what to avoid. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh that is soooo scary! But I'm so glad he's doing better now. Good thinking for getting him to the ER that quickly! I'm in Rochester, NY and it's been super hot here as well. Same as you, mid to upper 90's with high humidity. Luckily, it seems to be breaking today and it's only supposed to be in the mid-70's which is much better.

    Oh, and great job with your perserverance with the C25K program and for running for 3 straight minutes- That's great!

    ReplyDelete