Friday, July 13, 2012

My Very First 5k Race Report "Huckleberry Hustle"

OY! That was SO much harder than I thought it was going to be!

I guess in my convoluted mind I envisioned running the whole 3.1 miles easily! HA I didn't even run the intervals that I had been doing with the C25K training!

Let's back up a little...I made sure I had all my workout clothes clean so I could decide what I wanted to wear and I also got the boys dressed in some comfy shorts and shirts for their "Berry Dash". I even dressed Isabel in some little running shorts and her tennis shoes. I had David take a picture of her and I before we left because we decided that it would be best for my baby to go stay with Grammy while the rest of us went to the race because she would've had to sit in the stroller for about two hours and the race start time (7:00pm) is her bedtime and she was already cranky.

I told David to make sure he got her shorts and shoes in the picture! ugh! He does that all the time...one day I'll post some of his pictures where he didn't follow instructions! lol
The kids did the "Little Berry Dash" at 6:30pm. I thought it was going to be a short little run down a straightaway but they ran around the block of the old fashioned town. I should probably mention that the race was at a place called Crossroads Village. Its a early 1900's town that you can tour and learn about how things were done at the turn of the 20th century. They stopped at each corner to get a prize and finished back where they started. The boys seemed to enjoy it but Jacob fell once and his braced leg was really turning in while running. Jacob was born with an underdeveloped nerve in his left leg so he has to wear a brace to support his foot because he cannot move it or hold it up.

Jacob (my 5 year old) after the second "goody" stop.

They're shirts were WAY too big! The lady called to ask what size I wanted for them and when I told her how old they were she recommended mediums...she was WRONG! lol Oh well, they'll be able to wear them for a LONG time! :)



Then it was MY turn! Oh shit! I was so nervous standing there waiting for what seemed like FOREVER! I chatted a little bit with a lady that is also doing the Crim Training Program, but as a runner. There was no gun that went off and no announcer yelling "GO" over a loud speaker or anything...everybody ahead of me just started moving...OH SHIT...here we go! *Pardon my language but I'm giving you my honest thoughts. : )* It was at this point that I made my first mistake! I started off running WAY TOO FAST! I was caught up in the crowd and trying to move with them, but I was also not wanting to look like a snail when I passed David and the boys because David has never watched me run and I didn't want to disappoint my long distance running husband.

Another photo showing off my husband's awesome centering skills...or maybe he was intentionally trying to get a picture of the cute skinny lady in pink...hmmm?


When I got around the VERY FIRST corner I was gasping for air and already wanted to stop running. I slowed my pace WAY down and started chugging along...but my throat and lungs were burning with every breath. It was like all of the training I've been doing for the last 5 weeks never happened and of course David ran over to the next block to see me again and I was thinking oh crap, well David, this is how I REALLY run. The boys were so cute though yelling "GO MAMA, GO MAMA!" I had set my Garmin up to beep at 8 minute/5 minute intervals. I figured if that was what I had last done with my C25K training that's what I'd be able to do for the race...WRONG!!! I did make it the first full 8 minutes running...but after that my intervals were shot.

I didn't think David would bring the boys out this far to watch me...they caught me walking so I had to pick up the pace.


I wish I could say that I did awesome and felt awesome, but that just wasn't the case. I started to get a headache almost immediately and I just felt completely drained of energy. I walked most of the way after that first 8 minutes of running, only running for a minute or so at a time. I know that I probably could of run for longer intervals but I just couldn't get my mind to focus on my breathing. The whole time I was thinking...Why in the hell did I think I could do this!!!??? I came close to tears a couple of times, but I pushed through, partially with the help of this lady I ended up walking/jogging near for most of the race. She was attempting to run but hadn't run in over a month and just found out she had a bladder infection the day before! We chatted and took turns running ahead of each other. She ultimately finished ahead of me. It was nice to have people along the way cheering me on...especially close to the end. They would see how I was struggling and say "You're almost there!" *Is it just me though, or do you have the same thoughts I do when someone tells you "You're almost there!"? I would simultaneously be thinking 'Thanks...that's awesome that you care!' and 'Almost there huh? Well, it feels like a million miles away to me!' lol

Bookin' it to the finish. You can just tell by looking at me that I'm going at the fastest turtle pace!


As soon as I came around the last corner and I got a glimpse of the finish line I started running....slow at first, but then I heard some little voices yelling...over and over again "GO MAMA, GO MAMA, GO MAMA..." I started smiling and giggling to myself. I saw my boys and my husband cheering me I and I went into roadrunner mode (for me...probably looked like scooter going full throttle to anyone else)! I crossed the finish line going as fast as I could muster for an official finish time of 48:26:15!




A nice older couple who got medals gave them to my boys...how sweet! : )


I'm glad I did it but it was so much harder than I thought and I wish I would've waited until I had been training a little longer. Although I do think that a lot of factors made it more difficult besides my lack of training and the obvious fact that it was much farther than my normal workout. It was a trail run and VERY uneven. Each step was on a different level...not to mention the dessert of SAND they had I go through at one point...I was seriously pissed when I saw all the sand. lol Lastly, the temperature. It was HOT!!! I'm use to running at dusk which means no sun beating down on me and usually significantly cooler temperatures. I felt like complete crap for the rest of the night. I had a major headache and felt sick to my stomach. I ended up going to bed early but tossed and turned until I finally got up at 1am and took an Imitrex for the migraine I had.

Needless to say...I'm SUPER nervous now for my next 5k which will be August 9th. I plan to get right back on my C25K training, but I think I'm going to repeat Week 5's second workout (8 min. run/5 min. walk) a few times. Can any experienced runners out there explain to me why they would have you go from 8 minutes running with 5 minutes of walking recovery in between to a workout of 20 minutes of straight running??? I may just skip that workout all together for now and move onto Week 6 which has 10 minute running intervals.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend! I know I'm going to be taking it easy...until tomorrow night that is when I'll get back on my C25K training.

*Sorry this post is coming so late today. My kids were very needy today so I had to write it in little spurts and still couldn't finish it up until they were in bed.

Here's my splits...but like I said I was walking and running whenever so its not very accurate.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your first 5k! I appreciate your honest post and now you have a PR that you can work towards beating at your next 5k. Races become addictive! I do interval running, but never walk for more than 1 minute between 10 minutes of running. Can't figure out why you would walk for 5 minutes between intervals. One minute should be enough for your body to recover before you start again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, you are a rock star...running 10 minutes with only 1 minute of walking!!! I am still panting after just 1 minute of recovery. I definitely need that time in between. What I don't understand is going from 8 minutes of running with recovery time to 20 minutes of non stop running. Seems like to big of a jump to me.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!! This was great, so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Ernie. You pics looked like you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not a bad time at all! My first 5k I walked in 56ish and my first running 5k I ran the entire thing in 44:54! You should at least try the 20 minutes! I think you'll be surprised what you can do! Just take it nice and slow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you!!! Seriously, you did such a great job! You are a total inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job completing your first 5K! You now have a time to beat for your next race in a few weeks. I'm sure your husband was proud of you for completing the race regardless of whether you ran the whole thing or not. And think of the fantastic example you're setting for your kids by being active!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! You should be so proud!

    I am also doing a C25k program but mine is a bit different from yours. (I'm doing Ease into 5k, it's an app I purchased on my iPhone). I will finish week 7 tomorrow. I don't know if you want to maybe try a different program (like the one I posted below)(?) I feel like, for me, it's a better build up to the constant 20 min run. Here is what week 5-7 looks like (Each day has a typical 5 min warm up and then 5 min cool down.)
    Week 5, day 1
    warm up
    5 min run
    2 min walk
    4 min run
    2 min walk
    5 min run
    2 min walk
    4 min run
    cool down

    Week 5, day 2
    warm up
    6 min run
    1 min walk,
    4 min run,
    1 min walk
    6 min run
    cool down

    Week 5, day 3
    warm up
    9 min run
    2 min walk
    5 min run
    2 min walk
    2 min run
    cool down

    Week 6, day 1
    warm up
    9 min run
    3 min walk
    9 min run
    cool down

    Week 6, day 2
    warm up
    20 min run
    cool down

    Week 6, day 3
    warm up
    15 min run
    3 min walk
    10 min run
    cool down

    Week 7, day 1
    warm up
    20 min run
    3 min walk
    5 min run
    cool down

    Week 7, day 2
    warm up
    26 min run
    cool down

    Week 7, day 3
    warm up
    27 min run
    cool down

    And then it just keeps adding a minute until there is a 30 min run and then eventually you are supposed to hit a 5k in that 30 min. :D (I'm not there yet!)

    When running that first 20 min run I was scared out of my mind that I wasn't going to be able to do it. But what I have found is that the first 10 min. are actually harder than the last 10 min.+ Once I get my breathing in control and I find my groove, it really feels easier.

    No matter what you decide, know that you are doing better than you were doing when you started and that's awesome! Be proud of yourself, girl!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaa! Wow, that was really long! I didn't realize I was typing so much. :blush:

      Delete
  8. I remember the first time I did the C25K program and saw that big jump, I was like WTF???? How can I do that? I psyched myself out and decided to repeat a week and then did the big jump the next week....and I did it. You can do it. Just watch your pace. That is definitely my problem on the 5Ks and I am still trying to learn how not to go out too fast. I hope I learn it soon. Let me tell you that I am now up to running for over an hour. I am slow but I am consistent. You can do it! I can't wait to read about your next 5K race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did SO great!! You should be really proud of yourself because it's obvious your family really is!! I'm just starting a walking training program and you're showing me that if I don't give up, somday I'll be able to do my 1st 5K too. Awesome job!

    Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I'm so late with a very BIG CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first 5k!!!! You did an awesome job and should be SO proud! I did my first 5k race in May and remember thinking, despite all my training, how hard it was! I think it's just the adrenaline of the day, etc and of course if the trail is different to the surface you've trained on... WELL DONE Ernie! Let this 5k race be the first of many :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! YOU ARE AWESOME! Great job! You are a runner! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete