Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Making a little progress on my 30 X 30 List

I finished my first book of the year, called The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. (1 down...19 more to go!)

It was my book club's February pick. It was a quick read and very interesting. I'm not quite sure if I really liked it or not, but it was different. The narrator of the story is autistic, which made it a very interesting read because you got to see inside the head of someone with autism. However it also made it drag on and on in parts and emotionless most of the time.

Now to decide what to read next...I have three other books I checked out of the library.

Little Bee by Chris Cleave, which is my pick for March's book club meeting.

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf
I'm not sure if I'll even be able to read this book. It deals with two young girls being kidnapped and the book is about trying to figure out what happened to them. I love crime "who-done-it" shows and such, but since I've had my kids, I cannot handle watching or reading anything where children are the victim. So I'm probably setting myself up to get really upset with this book. The exception to this is the book The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. For some reason, probably the perspective, I was able to thoroughly enjoy (LOVE) that book! Hmmm...I really need to read that one again!

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife and this book is by the same author so I thought I'd give it a try.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I made turkey chili last night...yummy! I started making it before I pulled out all of the ingredients (a big problem of mine) and realized that I didn't have any red kidney beans! I ALWAYS have kidney beans on hand...but not today. However, I did find a can of black beans and a can of cannellini beans...so we had a 'black and white' turkey chili! : ) It was still delicious. I really think I prefer my chili made with ground turkey instead of ground beef.

I didn't count calories well yesterday. I started off good, but then we had a lot of stressful stuff going on with this 'new' house that we are trying to get and I noticed that I started snacking on whatever was out on the counter...Cheez-its and Ritz crackers mostly...I think I've learned something new about my eating habits. If I'm stressed and/or if a snack food is right out in the open and accessible...I'm probably going to eat it! I'll have to work on making sure I put everything away after giving the boys a snack.

Well, I've got to go do some laundry...trying to get the mountain broken down...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment