Saturday, March 24, 2012

I Bit the Bullet!

I signed up for my first 5k RUN!!! I've done a couple 5k walks and I walk for the March of Dimes, which are 5 & 6 miles long, but this will be the first time I will attempt to RUN!!! I've already paid so that I can't back out (NO REFUNDS) and made sure I have plenty of time to train. The race is not until October 6th! That should be enough time...but my husband isn't so sure! He asked if I was planning on walking it or running it or both...and I said I hope to run the whole thing and he said "that's unlikely"!!! Granted, there have been many times I have said I am going to do something and never did it at all...or I started it, but never finished...but he shouldn't be discouraging me before I even start!!! I was debating even telling him that I signed up already because I knew what his reaction would be.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so after I signed up for this race...figuring that it would be my FIRST...I saw that The Crim (a big time deal race in my area) was offering scholarships for their training program! The Crim is a 10 mile race (they also have an 8k and 5k race) that has become bigger and bigger every year it seems. They started a training program a few years ago and I saw that it was $140...which is too much for me to pay, what with buying a house and I knew my husband wouldn't let me pay that since I'm not good at follow through. However, I then saw that they were going to be giving out 20 scholarships for people with "financial need". You have to sign a sort of contract stating that, if given this scholarship, you are committing to completing the training and the race (which you are entered in at no extra charge). I really hope I'm selected...it would be nice to get REAL training, especially since being diagnosed with MS, I don't really know what, if any, limits I have. So I guess the "Get Out and Move" 5k will NOT be my first race if I am accepted for the scholarship...but it got me to make the commitment!

3 comments:

  1. Ernie! I am so freaking proud of you! AND I am totally inspired! I KNOW that with hard work you can run the whole thing! I KNOW IT! I just may have to start investigating 5K's in my area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to your blog and wanted to say hello! I blog over at http://skinnybitchwannabe-jennifer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Ernie. You can do a free training program that you can download to your phone/mp3 player called couch25k http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Check it out. I've known a few people who have been successful doing it. I just started running myself through the Running Room. I'm amazed weekly at how much further I can go. Great goal to work towards. Good for you:)

    ReplyDelete