Monday, March 26, 2012

Unexpected Walk

Went for a walk tonight...for 30:25:08...lol...I used the stop watch on my phone. I WILL be getting one of these soon though. ; ) My initial thought was to just walk once around our "block" and call it a start...but when I came back around near my house...I suddenly decided to cut across the road before ours and go back to the other side of the park before heading back up my road. Once I got back to my house again, I noticed I only had three minutes to go before reaching 30 minutes total so I walked back down to the stop sign, turned around, headed down the dead end next to our house and back. I even found our sons tee ball stand that blew away when we had the bad weather over a week ago. : ) According to my estimated path on Google Earth I walked 1.62 miles!

About 13 minutes in my feet started to go numb like they have done before when I was on a recumbent bike at the gym. That use to happen even before my 'attack' and subsequent diagnosis with MS this past December. I was worried about how the MS might effect my walking/running attempt. While it bothered me for a few minutes eventually the feeling started coming back. What surprised me was how much my back hurt! I have HORRIBLE posture and when I started walking tonight I made it a point to put my shoulders back and straighten up...it made walking easier, but my back started to ache.

I have a feeling that my toe on my left foot is going to hinder me until it is healed. I bought some shoes for my birthday from LL Bean and wore them for two days before sending them back because they were too small and my toes were killing me. It caused my toe nail on the toe next to the big toe to cut into the side of the toe itself. I made sure to cut the nail way down and have been putting peroxide and even alcohol on it...but its still VERY sore and red. I'm afraid I'm going to have to make a doctor's appointment to get it looked at. I'm pretty sure its infected. : (

I feel really GREAT about my accomplishment tonight! It wasn't planned...I just decided to do it! I'm hoping this urge to exercise continues.

3 comments:

  1. You did it! Don't forget that feeling of accomplishment!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Erin for getting out and walking! It is so hard to get exercise in when you are in pain, so way to push past it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job!! Posture is everything when walking/running... If you slouch, it hinders your breathing which causes you to get tired faster. (learned this from a marathon runner) When i used to run with the jogging stroller, i didn't realize it until after talking to that girl, but I was still slouched a little when i was holding the stroller. I started doing it after Nick got home from work so i didn't have to take Brooke, what an improvement! Jogging was my "escape" I could listen to my ipod, think about the day, I came back feeling very relaxed and peaceful. If you ever want to go to that trail in Davison and walk, let me know... We can do it after the guys get home from work, especially since its light out for a long time. You're doing great! The beginning is always the hardest, just keep reminding yourself of WHY you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete