Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Repairs

Seems like every time I get my mind running right something has to throw a wrench in it!!! We drove over to what WILL be our new house to get a quote on patching the ceiling crack and wall holes (just nail holes really) and painting ALL of the interior rooms, excluding the basement. The one 'finished' room (I use that term loosely) in the basement which would be the kids playroom, we were going to paint with the kids, letting them splatter bright primary colors on white walls and putting hand prints on them as well. Soooo...granted I have NO IDEA how much it costs to paint a house, I was not ready to hear the 4 digit number he (a guy who works with my husband...so this was a 'discounted' price) told us. He must have seen the shock on both of our faces because then he dropped the price by $400, but honestly, if he had given us that price to begin with we still would've had the shocked look on our faces! So its looking like we are going to have to find the time (and babysitters) to paint the WHOLE FREAKIN' house ourselves. I painted our first home, every room, so I know I can do it...but I don't WANT to do it, and back then I didn't have any kids to take care of, so I could head over and paint whenever I wanted and stay as late as I wanted. Plus, that house was HALF the size of this one.

Painting ourselves, obviously, is not going to be fun...but its not horrible. What David (my husband) showed me next though, is giving me anther ulcer as we speak. He said he needed to show me something down in the basement. Now, I know that there are some cracks in the basements walls, one of which leaks. We are planning to get those fixed ASAP. I guess, since I know that there is moisture down there I shouldn't have been surprised, but when David took me into the room that is suppose to be our kids play room and showed me the mold on the closet doors my heart sank. What my husband failed to notice (actually what we both failed to notice the dozen or so times we've been in that house), was that there was mold on the floor all around the walls of the room and even mold on the walls! We had thought it was just dirty. So now, we have to have someone who deals with mold cleanup come out and tell us what can be done, but as far as I'm concerned we have lost what little bit of the basement we could have used right after moving in.

A basement was a required feature when we were looking for a new house. We want the extra room for storage and to have a space dedicated to the kids toys where they can play. So I was already bummed when this house had an unfinished basement that needed some repairs, which means that we would have to wait longer to finish it.

With all of this going on I'm surprised I'm not stuffing my face!!! I know its not my "official" weigh in day, but this morning I weighed in at 233 lbs.!!! : ) I guess maybe, right now, the ONLY thing I can completely control is what I put in my mouth. So since everything else is going haywire I'm somehow able to keep my eating in check because I know that what I eat during the day is completely within my capability to change. That's my profound thought of the day. Here's hoping that I can keep the weight going down while the repair prices keep going up.

No comments:

Post a Comment